Thursday, September 22, 2005

May I See Some ID?

It happened again. And I think it's about time I write about it.

I was making a small purchase by credit card when the cashier asked me, "Can I see some ID?" - not, "Can I see YOUR ID?" but just "some" ID. Ok, I'm not really picking on the language... Dutifully, I pulled my driver's license from the same wallet I had just pulled my credit card out of. Now the key here (I forgot to include this in the original post), is that the cashier NEVER looks at my face to see if the ID matches me... hence, it really isn't ID!

Now wait -- isn't there something suspicious here?

I've been assuming all along that, "Can I see some ID?" means that somebody is trying to protect me... except that I really don't understand how this system is supposed to work.

Suppose I'm a thief. Hypothetically, please! Suppose I just got finished pickpocketing a wallet... so: suppose I look at the ID in the wallet, learn the guy's name, and practice his signature 10 or so times. Now... suppose I go buy something with one of the credit cards. When the cashier asks, "Can I see some ID?", I confidently pull out the driver's license. I sign the receipt and walk away with my goods. Now: how was the owner of the credit card protected??

There may have been cameras, etc. but specifically, what good did showing the ID of the wallet serve??

If my credit card is stolen, I call my credit card issuer and report it stolen... and sure: I'm "protected" for transactions purchased within some time and price window. But isn't that just covered by some form of insurance that the credit card charges to merchants (and therefore, indirectly, to me) through their service fee? Or what about the exhorbitant rates that some credit card companies charge... 19%... 22%... 26%...!??

So again, I'm confused: what purpose does me pulling out my driver's license serve? If I'm not purchasing an age-controlled substance (say, liquor), what right or need does the merchant (or cashier) have in looking at my ID?

All of this leads into a blog for another day... have you ever considered how insecure the entire credit-card system is? Given that all sorts of third parties have your credit card information, and given that no identification is required to use a credit card by phone, why isn't this an ENORMOUS problem?

4 Comments:

At 9/22/2005 4:26 PM, Blogger IvyMike said...

There may have been cameras, etc. but specifically, what good did showing the ID of the wallet serve??

The cashier is almost never this specific, but when they want "some id" they usually mean "picture id". Which at least ties your face to your name on an official, government-issued document.

 
At 9/22/2005 7:46 PM, Blogger craig said...

Ah yes: a critical part of the rant that I left out (I'll edit it in later): typically, they (cashiers) *never* look at my face to confirm that it matches the picture I just handed them.

 
At 9/23/2005 1:19 PM, Blogger IvyMike said...

In the cashier's mind, if you give your consent and hand them the ID, you've pretty much already passed.

They expect the pickpocket with the non-matching ID to say "I don't have my license".

 
At 9/25/2005 12:19 AM, Blogger craig said...

So: pickpockets have never successfully used, nor know nobody in their confidence who has successfully used... a credit card!??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home