Thursday, August 04, 2005

Apple's new "Mighty Mouse"

It strikes me as strange that much of what is written seems to tell history badly. And also misrepresents the current state of affairs.

Various articles are claiming that "it's long overdue" that Apple support a multi-button mouse. That's just plain misleading. Apple's MacOS has supported a multi-button mouse for years. I have a 3 button mouse installed on my iMac. It works great - all of the buttons do what I expect. I have a scroll-wheel. It works too. Fantastic. So: what's the problem?

The "Mighty Mouse" is the first multi-button mouse that Apple is selling for their computers.

Multi-button mice were most likely introduced long-ago on Unix computers. I remember using a 3-button mouse on SunOS 1.1 back in 1985. It appears that X-Windows, developed at MIT in conjunction with DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation, later bought by Compaq, later bought by HP) first supported three-button mice for the widespread public.

1 Comments:

At 8/21/2005 9:47 PM, Blogger IvyMike said...

When Apple first announced their new mouse, I couldn't help but think of the Andy Kaufman skit, which I finally found online. (Although in a format that is probably only MS compatible. Sorry.)

Also, my current mouse has eight buttons, so three doesn't really impress me anymore. I will freely admit that eight might be overkill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home